Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Carlsen Family : Family Portraits Northwood, IA

I was thrilled when my neighbor wanted to hire me to photograph her whole extended family when they were getting together for her mom's birthday. I know this kind of work isn't the most artistic or creative, but it is an infinitely better experience when you have a seasoned professional taking the shots versus an amateur, family member... or a tripod! :) You'll know exactly what I mean if you've ever tried it.
First of all, when you're dealing with so many people... especially with so many youngsters, you need to be ready on time and able to make decisions in a snap so that everyone can be arranged in a pleasing manner before your subjects start getting restless.
I think the family really enjoyed watching me try to get the babies' attention. I was jumping around and making animal sounds... guess you had to be there! ;)
But that's what it takes to get this kind of shot, an heirloom photo documenting their family tree - as it is - this moment in time. I could never win an award for this image, but photos like these are treasured and passed down from generation to generation. They are pulled out for exciting events like 50th Wedding Anniversaries and Family Reunions... and they are tucked into the pages of Genealogy Books. And that, to me, means so much more than any artistic merits.
I want to remind my readers that it's so important to take these types of family photos because you just don't know what life has in store. One of the gals in the photo is going in on Friday for surgery because she will be having some tumors removed... we pray that they aren't malignant, but only God knows what's in store for this family in the next year... let's hope it's only adding new members.
In my thoughts and prayers...
Enjoy!
Rebecca





No comments:

Post a Comment